My beard turned grey when I was 28 years old. I wanted to turn it to black no matter what. Ultimately after researching for quite some time, I found beard dye! Instantly after that, I attempted it into my beard and encountered it to be the best solution. So, is beard dye safe?
Beard dye is safe if it contains natural ingredients. But if it contains chemicals or synthetic ingredients, it is totally not safe to use because it can cause allergies, rashes, and red skin.
Which Beard Dye is safe & Why?
Beard dye is made up of various natural and chemical ingredients. You can also find the pure natural beard dye as well that is made of the Neem tree, Henna…I suggest you use these dyes.
While using these dyes, you are totally safe. There is less possibility of having allergies and rashes. I’ve been using this beard dye since the beginning and have not suffered from any problems yet.
Moreover, it is straightforward to use.
Let’s see how to apply it!
- Prolly, these beard dyes come in a powder.
- You mix it with water to make a paste.
- Instantly after that, gently apply it into your beard.
- Start applying the paste from mustache down to the chin and then up to sideburns.
- Cover it up and let it sit in your whiskers for about 30 minutes
- Wash it with clean water.
- Viola, you will have black hair again.
Some additional benefits of these dyes are:
- Softens your beard.
Mainly beard dyes containing chemicals strip natural oil from your skin remaining it to be dry and broken. In contrast to it, natural dyes won’t hamper on natural oil but provide you with a soft and lustrous beard.
- Gives a fuller look
Natural dyes completely turn your beard black. It aids to give your beard a fuller look. It is beneficial for those who have two-toned beards. If you want to know why you have a different colored beard, check our article here!
- Temporary but last for more than 4-5 weeks
Although, natural beard dye is temporary, but it lasts more than 4-8 weeks. Thus, it is more affordable and praiseworthy.
- Works as a natural conditioner
These dyes condition your beard and keep it hydrated. After applying this dye, you will have a shiny beard.
These are the benefits of natural beard dyes.
Although it has various advantages, it has some downsides too.
The downside of it is that you have to wait! After applying this dye, it completely takes around 30-50 minutes to work out.
Additionally, you will not be sure that it will turn your hair black again or not. Sometimes, you also need to apply it twice to get the intended result.
I have talked about natural dyes, but now let’s talk about instant beard dyes.
Which Beard Dye isn’t safe & Why?
Instant beard dyes are the dyes that instantly turn your beard darker within 5 minutes. It is due to the synthetic ingredients blended into it. These dyes are totally not safe because it has many side effects.
- If you really want to try this beard dye, here is my recommendation!
Here are some side effects of these beard dyes!
- It can cause Allergies
Allergies are one of the common problems while applying instant beard dye. It can last up to 2 to 3 days. Some symptoms of allergies are:
- Constant itchiness
- Red rash
- Swollen lips and eyelid
- Stinging feel
If you have allergic skin, I won’t recommend using instant beard dye. Instead of it, you can try natural dye.
- Chemical burns
It happens to those who have sensitive skin. It can give you a burning pain that lasts for up to 2 to 3 weeks.
- It swells your skin
Due to an allergic reaction, it can also swell your skin. There is no specific time when it causes swelling. It can happen instantly after applying it or withing 10 hours after applying it.
You can use hydrogen peroxide to reduce the blistering.
How to remain safer?
To remain safe:
- Firstly, you will need to check the ingredients of the beard dye. If it contains more chemical ingredients, I recommend you not to use it. My suggestion is always to use products that contain more natural ingredients.
- Do a patch skin test. If it causes any allergies and rashes, don’t use that product.
- If no allergies are seen, you are good to go with that product.
What to do if the beard dye causes a problem?
- If you suffer from low to a mild chemical burn, you can wash it with lukewarm water. If the burn is severe, you can try using potassium permanganate.
- If you suffer from an allergic reaction, you can use moisturizer, cold ice to treat it to reduce the pain.
- For swelling, you can try hydrogen peroxide.
Note: If the condition is severe, I recommend you to consult with physicians.
How often should you dye your beard to remain safe?
Most beard dye lasts for about 3-4 weeks. So, it is better to apply it after 4 weeks. Applying this product frequently damages your beard and skin. And on top causes irritation, itchiness, and allergic reaction.
Beard dye is safe if you take the following precautions:
- Choose beard dye made of natural ingredients
- Before applying it, do a skin patch test
- Don’t apply it frequently
- If any allergies appear, immediately stop using it.
Yet beard dye has some side effects; if you know how to use it, it gives the best result!
I hope you will like this post if you have any queries, feel free to ask us!