Having a beard does not mean you cannot tame it. Gone are the days when you had to make do with using mere coconut oil on your beard for styling. Now you have plenty of options in the form of beard butters to keep your beard in perfect condition. Most beard butters help tame the beard, keep it moisturized, and smell fresh while preventing itching and dandruff.
Table of Contents
What is beard butter?
It is a lotion for the beard, which contains styling benefits. The texture is not like a styling lotion and is thicker, hence the name “butter.” It usually contains ingredients like Shea butter, cocoa butter, coconut oil, and a blend of essential oils. All of these have a thicker texture as compared to the beard oil and gives a smoother look.
Why use beard butter?
Beard butter has a variety of benefits for your skin and your beard. Just like your hair needs styling and grooming, so does your beard, which needs to be tamed. The following are some of the benefits of using beard butter.
- It helps to soothe skin irritation. Your beard may be irritating your skin due to drying, and using beard butter can help the discomfort.
- Keeps the skin hydrated. It keeps the skin hydrated and moisturized underneath the beard.
- It makes the beard soft. You may have wiry, unruly hair. Using beard butter can make your beard soft and smooth to the touch and calm down the roughness.
- Unclogs the pores. Dirt and dust can get trapped under your beard, which can have an adverse effect on your skin’s health. Since most of the beard butters contain some nourishing vitamins, it helps to clear the blocked pores and makes the skin healthier.
- It smells great. Most beard butters are available in scented and unscented versions. If you are out all day and tend to sweat a lot, you may consider using a nice fresh smelling beard butter that will make your beard smelling pleasant all day long.
- It helps prevent beardruff. One of the benefits that beard butter has is preventing beard dandruff. While many of the beard butter may not have this feature, if you suffer from this time to time, then it is vital to find a beard butter for yourself that has this feature.
- Keeps the beard in place. While it may not have the same hold or stiffness as beard wax, it provides the benefits of moisturizing and conditioning your beard while keeping it in place.
Overall, beard butter is an excellent choice for your skin if you like to maintain a well-styled and healthy beard. It makes your beard look neat and clean while making your skin healthy. It can be seen as providing two benefits – one for your beard and one for your skin.
Best Beard Butter Reviews 2021
This is one of the best products when it comes to beard care. Live Bearded is a top brand that makes high-quality products that can be trusted, and this product is very popular because it is useful and effective.
It has a simple list of ingredients, and when it comes to skincare or beard products, less is always more. It contains the following ingredients: coconut oil, Shea butter, avocado oil, jojoba oil, grape seed oil, and almond oil.
It is also available in various fragrances and scents, while the ingredients mentioned above are for the basic, unscented option. There is also the option of sandalwood, pine, citrus, and campfire. The most popular one and their best selling one remain their standard, unscented option.
The consistency of beard butter is vital to the styling of the beard, and its consistency is excellent and as solid as it should be. It mixes very well with the beard, similar to how the oil would, giving a light to medium hold. While many people would prefer a stronghold, but it should not get to the point that the beard ends up looking greasy, and you would feel it is filled with glue. For those people who use beard butter regularly must have experienced the build-up, yet this product does not have this problem. It can also be used as a daily conditioner. This product’s application is very simple; it can be used by putting it on the palm of your hands to melt evenly, or you can use a beard brush to comb through your beard with this live bearded beard butter.
- A hybrid between beard balm and beard conditioner
- Strength: Light to medium
- Safety screw cap
- Weight: 5.6 ounces
- It is made in the USA.
- The ingredients are simple and all-natural
- There are options for five different scents to choose from
- It may be very greasy for some people.
- The scents may be too fragrant and strong.
Those people who have very sensitive skin or are prone to allergies would love the smoothness of this beard butter. The Detroit Grooming Co. Beard Butter is an excellent choice for such people, especially those looking for minimalistic options. There are only two ingredients in this beard butter which keeps it simple and subtle on the skin.
The ingredients are Shea butter and coconut oil. This beard butter is ideal for those people who have never used a beard butter before and are a little sceptical about using these products, this one should be their trial one, and they wouldn’t be disappointed. The ingredients which are included in this beard butter are the common ones generally used for beard oils. This is an excellent product for first-timers. Moreover, since it is made in the USA, it is quite reassuring that it is safe to use and follows high-quality standards for consumers.
This balm’s texture is a nice and non-greasy one, which easily melts when you rub it on your beard. The best part is that it does not smell like you dipped your beard in a tub full of chemicals. Furthermore, it simply dissipates in just a couple of minutes as you step outside. In a few more hours, all you have is a pleasant, lingering smell that lasts all day long. Thanks to the Shea butter, it can effectively control the beard, and the coconut oil makes sure that your beard is hydrated all day long.
The application is also simple and hassle-free. It can be applied as you step out of the house and can also be used right after a shower. It gives a nice natural looking sheen to the beard.
- Only two natural ingredients
- Rich in nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants
- Helps promote hair growth
- Weight: 4.8 ounces
- Made with a blend of fragrances: Tobacco, vanilla, and cedarwood
- Makes grooming easy
- It is a great choice for first-time users.
- It is ideal for all skin types, especially sensitive skin.
- Keeps the beard hydrated, well-groomed, and in control
- Some people may not like the “smokiness” scent of this beard butter.
This beard butter is for those who are regular or seasoned beard butter users want to try out a new one, either because of variety or because you are dissatisfied with your current one. The Wild Willie’s beard butter by Manskape is an excellent choice, which is rich and provides great texture.
It is one of the best choices in the market, and it uses a unique blend of thirteen different natural sourced, organic ingredients from Georgia. All the ingredients are hand blended to ensure that the quality and the texture of this beard butter remains consistent and superior. Moreover, there are no added fragrances, colours, or perfumes.
The natural ingredients include Rosemary oil, Cedarwood oil, Tee tree oil, Vitamin E (non-GMO), Argan oil, Castor oil, Gold Jojoba oil, Apricot oil, Sweet almond oil, yellow beeswax and Shea butter. This provides a unique blend of the best carrier oils that can keep the beard as well as the skin hydrated and moisturized, thanks to the richness of the oils and the natural vitamin E formula. The tea tree oil helps to prevent any fungal infections, while the castor oil keeps the beardruff at bay.
The scent of this beard butter is mild and woodsy, thanks to the cedarwood. The smell of rosemary oil gives a pleasant tinge that is nice and not overpowering. While most of the beard butter only contains either the Shea butter or the beeswax, this one contains a combination of both. This gives an extra wax-like effect, which can keep your beard in place all day long.
However, the texture is not greasy or buttery, and the application is also quite straightforward and hassle-free. Even a small amount of this butter will suffice to cover the whole beard or the moustache. This Wild Willie beard butter is an excellent choice overall that can easily replace your need for beard oil or beard wax.
- Contains 13 ingredients
- Prevents flaky skin, beard dandruff, and itchiness
- 100% money-back guarantee
- All ingredients are organic and locally sourced
- Able to provide a stronghold that is non-greasy
- It is hand made in the USA
- Promotes hair growth
- Many people may not like the scent
- Some people have notice residue in their beards
If you are looking for the best option for beard butter in the premium range, then you should consider the Maestro’s Classic Mark of a Man Beard Butter. It is a relatively new brand that has made a mark in this industry, yet it has become popular in no time. The differentiating factor in this beard butter as compared to others is that their beard butter is water-based, while most others are all oil-based. This is why; this beard butter gives a light and a fluffy texture. This can be checked from the list of ingredients, which are mentioned in all their products.
Since this is a water-based balm, it is not as heavy on the beard as the oil-based balms are. It blends in and melts away easily on the beard and coats the hair evenly. This way, you can’t even tell that you have applied balm on your beard. However, this also means it will not have a very strong hold on your beard either.
The ingredients in this beard butter are also quite different than the ones, which are usually found in most beard butter. It includes castor seed oil, coconut oil, and wheat germ oil, which is the carrier oil base. The essential oil blends, which this balm has, include mulberry bark extract and abyssinica seed oil. This beard butter is effective in not just softening, nourishing, and hydrating your beard, but it is also useful in the prevention of beard dandruff. It is a great choice to use if you are suffering from itchy skin during the growing stage.
One of the best things about this beard butter is its fragrance. Most people love the smell, and it is quite mild. It also has a cooling and soothing effect on the beard when you apply it. However, it is slightly expensive compared to other beard butter brands, but then again, you cannot get the same texture with other brands either!
- Weight: 6 ounces
- Water-based balm
- Grooms and smooths
- For dry and itchy skin
- It is a water-based formula.
- It does not feel heavy when applied as the texture is soft and light.
- Gives a soothing effect like menthol
- Hydrates and nourishes the beard
- Prevents itching and dryness
- It is slightly expensive.
- The list of ingredients is long.
Many people do not like any strong scents in their beard butter. If you are one of those, who prefer a firm hold on their beard, yet with an unscented option, then this beard butter by Fresh Beards Classic is an excellent option. Many smells can be overwhelming, yet this unscented option is quite refreshing.
The ingredients in this balm are minimalistic and contain just a few, namely Grapeseed oil, almond oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, and Shea butter. It has plenty of vitamin E, essential antioxidants, and natural emollients, which helps to make even the hardest beard strands soft and smooth. A creamy texture is provided by Shea butter, which does not leave the beard oily or sticky at all. It gives a non-greasy and soft feel, which is why it can be applied at any time of the day.
You can rest assured the products are of good quality and reliable as they are made in the USA. If you are looking to try a new beard butter brand, this is an excellent choice since it provides superior hold, has a pleasant smell, and is available at an economical price.
- Weight: 4 oz
- Suitable for any beard
- Bread softener and anti-itch cream
- Includes a blend of essential oils
- Gives a non-greasy and creamy texture
- Does not make your sticky or oily
- Can be applied at any time of the day
- Not available online
Private Blend is from Bearded Soldier, which is relatively new in the market but has excellent reviews. It also has a General’s blend that is a scented version of this same product.
It has a unique blend of essential oils such as bergamot, black pepper, and grapefruit. The aroma of this beard butter is fantastic and different from other brands. The blend of the ingredients in this butter is also quite different from other brands. The smell of this beard butter lingers on for quite some time and is effective for all-day use.
This beard butter makes the beard soft and smooth without making it greasy or oily. The balm disappears on the beard without leaving even a slight sheen. It is also useful in preventing hair dandruff.
- Weight: 8 oz
- Available in an unscented version also
- Nourishes and moisturizes
- It has a wonderful aroma.
- The butter melts into the beard and gives a soft texture.
- It helps to prevent itching and softens the beard.
- Price is affordable
- It has a strong smell.
There are plenty of different blends of beard butter available for customers to choose from. It is up to the customer to decide which form of beard butter will suit them the most, depending on their style of grooming as well as their skin types. Some people are prone to itching and may want to go for something that can prevent that, while many others suffer from hair dandruff. We have mentioned some of the best beard butter, which is the most popular ones in the market, based on their performance and effectiveness.