The note of patchouli is a prevalent fragrance note. It is being used since thousand years ago. Initially, it is used in perfume, later to incense sticks and other cosmetic products. What does patchouli smell like?
The scent of patchouli contains varieties of notes, primarily including earthy, woody, crispy, oily, and a bit of fruity. As follows, it smells like a bit of wet soil with sharp crisps around it.
What is Patchouli?
Patchouli is notably a plant that grows like a bushy herb that contains small pale pink-white flowers. It is native to Asia, but it is now widely cultivated in China, Indonesia, Japan, Cambodia, and South America due to its popularity.
There are three predominant species of patchouli
- Pogostemon Cablin,
- Pogostemon Heyneanus and
- Pogostemon Hortensis.
Out of these 3, Pogostemon cablin is most popular because of its essential oil and aromatherapy.
- Read Ylang Ylang Smell
How To Extract Patchouli oil?
Patchouli essential oil is extracted by steam distillation of patchouli leaves.
After it is being harvested, it is first dried out. Now, it’s being distilled that produces a pure patchouli oil.
The scent of this oil is so hard that even a few oil drops remain still for a long time.
- Read Eucalyptus smell
Benefits of Patchouli
Patchouli retains many benefits. And amongst all, the first benefit is its smell. It has an incredible fragrance that keeps your surroundings vibrant.
Let’s check some other benefits as well:
- One study from the Journal of Nature Medicine found that patchouli smell helps to promote sleep.
- It contains anti-inflammatory ingredients thus consumed to treat inflammation and irritation. It simply soothes and calms your skin.
- Applying a few drops of this oil regularly improves the condition of your skin. You can use it to treat skin-related problems like aging, acne, dry skin, and fungal infection.
- It is also beneficial for your health. If you are suffering from a cold or headache – you can apply this oil to get relief from it.
- You can also use this oil to relieve stress and anxiety.
- Phytotherapy Research also shows that it can be used as an insect repellant.
How To Use Patchouli Oil?
Patchouli oil is easy to use. You can apply it or can inhale it.
For applying it to your skin, it is first diluted with carrier oils. It blends well with Carrier oil like Argan oil, Sandalwood, Bergamot, Peppermint, or Sweet Almond oil. After blending, you can apply it directly onto your skin.
For inhaling, you can either use an aromatherapy diffuser or drop some oil in a cloth and inhale it.
Precautions and Side Effects of Patchouli Oil
- You can’t ingest patchouli oil because it can cause a toxic effect on your body.
- Don’t apply this oil directly to your skin because it can cause irritation and itchiness. To use it, you must dilute it first with carrier oils.
- Keep this oil away from pregnant and children.
Let’s check some products with the best patchouli smell.
First, start with cologne.
Best Cologne with Patchouli Fragrance
Tom ford white patchouli is the best perfume I have ever used. This perfume is purely blended with patchouli, and I think you will love it as well because it has an incredibly high-quality aroma that is neither too overpowering nor too soft but spreads a warm and subtle scent around you.
Best Beard products with Patchouli Fragrance
If you are interested in using a beard balm with patchouli fragrance, I would suggest you use Patchouli Beard balm because the scent of this balm is just awesome. It is due to the blend of patchouli and floral scent.
It smells woodsy, but you will love it.
Apart from its smell, it works really well to keep your beard moisturized and healthy that lasts longer than a normal balm. Additionally, it is easy to apply and prevents itchiness and dryness in your beard.
Like beard balm, If you need a beard oil with patchouli fragrance, I suggest using Devotion Beard oil because it has a soft and smooth fragrance with woodsy and sandalwood notes. I think you will love the smell of this oil.
Besides its smell, the moisturizing property bewilders you by softening your beard. Furthermore, it prevents dryness, beard flakes, and itchiness.
- Why do Hippies smell like patchouli?
Hippies use patchouli to mask the smell of marijuana. But back then, some also said that patchouli and weed smell the same, so they used it. Perhaps the accuracy of this statement is also vague yet.
- Does patchouli smell like weed?
It has been reported that the smell of patchouli and weed is the same. But the accuracy behind this statement is still vague.
Patchouli is one of the popular fragrances that isn’t only because of its smell but also because of its benefits towards health and skin. You can find it in perfume, incense sticks, and some other grooming products.
The patchouli provides a vivid yet calm and soothing aroma – you will definitely cherish it.